Thursday, July 24, 2014

Guided Tour of Bible

Index
Symbol: Guided Tour

Lesson: Learn more with someone who knows


Illustration: Over the years, I have visited both forests and museums that offered guided tours. Alternately, if I wanted, I was welcome to just stroll around. Sometimes the tour option cost money, but other times it was just as free as going it alone. I usually opt to go alone because I don’t like crowds and even more so, I can’t stand feeling like a tourist—even though I am one! I would always tell myself, “There are markers and sign posts that I can read if I want.”


As I walked along, every so often I crossed paths with the tour group and I would overhear the knowledgeable tour guide telling things I hadn’t noticed and tidbits not mentioned on the sign post markers. I began to realize I was missing some very interesting points by insisting on being alone. Then I would begin to hang out on the fringes of the tour group, too embarrassed to get close because I had already turned down the invitation. Sometimes, I would go back and sign up for the next tour.


This is actually very applicable to studying the Bible. While reading it on our own is a good habit to develop, acquiring an accurate and correct understanding of it is best done with a guided tour. The offer made by Jehovah’s Witnesses is a free guided tour. The reason ours is free is not because we don’t value what we do, but rather because Jesus said “you received free, give free.” I don’t know if other religious groups charge for that service.

Notes: Over the decades, I’ve met some very kind-hearted people who, in response to my offer to conduct a free Bible study-course with them, have said they’d rather study on their own. I’m always happy to hear that they have such determination but I know first-hand how challenging that effort can be.

Index

No comments:

Post a Comment